add lte router to existing verizon plan, or something else

Topics Related to Cell Towers, Frequencies and Bands
bvwelch

Re: add lte router to existing verizon plan, or something else

Post by bvwelch » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:32 am

It is good to hear success story about EP06A and ATT

But I noticed the EM06-A -- is it an improvement over the EP0A? And what about power/current for each? Is a hefty power supply recommended? thank you.

bvwelch

Post by bvwelch » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:36 am

thanks for all of the great info -- after further study, I've ordered the external usb-pci.e enclosure and the EC25AF. I already have a few routers running openwrt that are on the GO firmware list.
I will likely have questions, but probably should move them to a better place on this forum? For example can I use the GO firmware and the EC25AF, prior to purchasing a sim card, and figure out which providers are available? If not that is OK - I know Verizon works with my phone, and a friend says ATT works. I hope to use Cricket data plan but if that doesnt work out I hope to add this new lte modem to my existing verizon plan as a BYOD?

toddw

Post by toddw » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:29 pm

bvwelch wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:32 am
It is good to hear success story about EP06A and ATT

But I noticed the EM06-A -- is it an improvement over the EP0A? And what about power/current for each? Is a hefty power supply recommended? thank you.

I got an NEXQ6GO-U from ltefix and using that with no issues. I am running the march release of goldenorb and I do have it locked to specific bands via a band profile.

sharkbait

Post by sharkbait » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:31 am

MattB29 wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:41 pm
I don't know about the Quectel but the IMEI from a Sierra EM7565 I have comes back as usable.
I just checked the IMEI from my EM7565 on Cricket and this is no longer the case.

MattB29

Post by MattB29 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:12 am

Interesting I just checked my IMEI for the EM7565 that I had started on Cricket last month and it also now gives a incompatibility. Working fine though. I guess I got in under the wire. I do notice that AT&T has a comparable and cheaper option now for prepaid data only. 20GB per month for $25 if bought by the year versus the $35/mo I am paying now. If Cricket stops my account working I will just move on.

BTW the check mentions the incompatibility is due to 3G being shutdown by AT&T. Probably the VoLTE requirement that all these carriers are going to, which does not really affect DATA but they only think about the phone world when it comes to how they set things up.

I checked my Netgear LB1120 and it also say it is incompatible. Clicking the link about why: https://www.cricketwireless.com/support ... tdown.html They mention that this changeover should not affect DATA only LTE devices but the numbnuts obviously do not discriminate. I also see if you attempt to transfer your sim to a new device they deem incompatible that it will not work anymore even if you transfer it back to a device previously working.

MattB29

Post by MattB29 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:38 am

Reading through some of the stuff at the support page it looks like I have until February 2022 before I get shutdown even with a LTE compatible device
If action is required, you'll be notified before February 2022. However, we encourage you to upgrade your 3G or non-HD Voice devices as early as possible. Additionally, data-only devices will need to be HD Voice-capable. Upgrading now will allow you to begin taking advantage of our most advanced wireless services. Our spectrum reallocation efforts have begun and will continue between now and February 2022.

It is going to be fun finding a modem that they will allow. Anyone know of which ones are HD Voice compatible?