add lte router to existing verizon plan, or something else

Topics Related to Cell Towers, Frequencies and Bands
bvwelch

add lte router to existing verizon plan, or something else

Post by bvwelch » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:02 am

Greetings,

I want an lte router instead of using my iphone as a hotspot. i have an existing verizon plan, and i presumed i could simply add the new lte router to my existing plan, (one from ltefix instead of a jetpack).

But after reading here, I am wondering if I will have trouble with this approach.

Besides verizon, at&t is available in the area but i have no existing phones or plans.

suggestions welcome.

Didneywhorl

Re: add lte router to existing verizon plan, or something else

Post by Didneywhorl » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:51 am

Its what we all do. :)

You can definitely add a router to your Verizon account. But the data only plans are exceptionally restrictive. Like 20GB a month for a buncha money more than its worth. IF you just need that, it's perfect. Most of us need more data, so we try trickery to mask the usage as cell phone or tablet usage. This is where the problems arise on the technical side. Sometimes the carriers change things and we scramble before the account gets axed or throttled to oblivion.

Currently tablet plans seem to be the spot for Verizon, though a cell plan is working for some. Visible is the go to for Verizon for most though it isn't a part of your main cell plan.

For ATT most like to get a stand alone tablet plan, post paid, though I've heard that getting it might have changed and become harder as standalone plan, as the "unlimited" tablet/ipad option was always meant to be an add on to a cell unlimited plan. But it still works, if you can get it. ATT is having problems right now with their invisible PROXY servers on both data and cell plans.

All of that is on this forum. It's a gold mine of info, just gotta dig. Many people don't respond to questions because they answered them ad nauseum on here already. Don't get discouraged if no one answers quickly.

gscheb

Post by gscheb » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:07 pm

How fast is your verizon phone? Like a speed test is it fast enough for you? If so could tether a verizon phone with one of these routers. Personally doing this some just for couple of my devices. Rest of the house using T-Mobile in a lte router. Do you have tmobile in your area? The easy to use and seem to allow allot of data to be used.

bvwelch

Post by bvwelch » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:36 pm

Thank you for your help.

My use case is for a cabin, sort of a 2nd home office these days. I would like a permanent solution, that I can attach alarm system, etc. I think my data usage may only be 100 Mbytes per day or so -- I am still collecting/monitoring my usage.

yes my old iphone6 as a hotspot - either via lightning/usb tether, or wifi, is plenty fast enough for my needs. I have used this iphone as hotspot with raspberry pi, or gli-net slate, both work fine as routers. But with only 1 phone I have to disconnect when I leave.

Maybe getting a 2nd phone is the best way all around.

thank you

MattB29

Post by MattB29 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:26 pm

Based on your usage you could easily go with a Cricket Simply Data plan (AT&T) and compatible device. I use a Netgear LB1120 with the 20GB for $35/mo plan for my internet needs. If you already have a unlocked GSM hotspot or router you can check the IMEI to see if compatible at https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-ph ... ata-device

gscheb

Post by gscheb » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:39 pm

Hello Again,
With how low your usage is might be able to use what this post talks about. There is a Verizon and AT&T option on this.
viewtopic.php?f=31&p=12511

bvwelch

Post by bvwelch » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:20 pm

About the Cricket -- I presume a modem from Fixlte would be compatible, such as a sierra wireless or quectel.

thanks.

MattB29

Post by MattB29 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:41 pm

I don't know about the Quectel but the IMEI from a Sierra EM7565 I have comes back as usable.

bvwelch

Post by bvwelch » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:20 pm

I think I will go with the NEXQ6GO-U and the EP06A modem. And try Cricket, and if that doesnt work out, try adding the router to my existing verizon plan.

I dont know if they would be willing to install the modem and snap in those antennas, but it sure would be great.

toddw

Post by toddw » Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:23 pm

I have had good success with the EP06A and ATT for what its worth.